By 8am we were ready to start the landscaping project. We decided that we'd rather have a nice compost border and not a rock border, and that is in large part due to some lovely photos that were sent to me by the Milk River Madman. He did some nice landscaping last year, and was gracious enough to send me the photos of his project. We went to the Lowe's and purchased the boarder pieces and stakes and came home to lay it out.
This is where things started to go sour. We couldn't decide on the layout. This quickly turned into whether or not we made the right decision in not choosing a rock border. This quickly resulted into temporarily abandoning the "dig" and going to the nursery to decide what we wanted to plant. I took pictures of the things I liked, and perhaps you could tell me whether or not these things go together.
Must have.
Fishy's idea, you know.
This is just one of five or six ponds on privately owned 14,000 acres.
I fell in love with this ground cover, and I can use it instead, right?
By this time, there was just no agreeing on much of anything. Husband said that even though he wanted a flower bed in the front of the house, he's much more interested in a vegetable garden in the back yard. Palm Face. Are you freaking kidding me right now husband? I'm all for a vegetable garden plentiful of squash, onions, tomatoes, and what ever else he thinks we need, but my gaw! Let's finish one thing before we go making plans for something else, mmmmkay?
I gave up for the day, and went fishing instead. I didn't go at all last year, and after this recent trip, I'm going to make sure I go as much as I can this summer. I mean, it's so relaxing and peaceful, and it's perfect for forgetting the world around you for a while.
Let me take you on a short journey.
A journey to a little honey hole for large mouth bass.
Heaven. Let me eternally rest in a lovely place like this.

My always trusty lure of choice is a brightly colored Rooster Tail.
(please excuse my chipped fingernail polish.)
I've caught everything on a Rooster Tail.
Bass, (large and small mouth) Crappie, Perch,
even a big ole flathead catfish.
I caught three bass with this Rooster Tail,
but I ended up getting hung up in some trees, and lost this one to the cause.
So, I switch over to another ole faithful - a rattle trap.
Holy taco truck! They loved the rattle trap.
Here's how the basket looked after several hours...
All of these were little, probably between one and two pounds.
But when it comes to fishing, size doesn't matter. :)
11 comments:
Id love to fish in the USA, you have some very interesting species. Your Rooster Tail is a lot like my fav Wonder Wobbler, the wobbler has a larger spinner and works slower to tempt and tease.
1 to 2 pounders are big for the ponds I fish. I ususally catch 1/2 to 3/4 pounders. They still fight though. And when I'm not using plastic worms, the rattle trap is my go-to lure. I have that exact one that you have except no blood colored trebbles. Wasn't that better than gardening?
I am glad you have the intelligence to know when to stop the insanity and just go fishing! Your marriage will be one that lasts!!
I'm jealous. You are looking at flowers and its snowing here. The rule of thumb is to not plant flowers until the snow is off the Bridger Mountains. Looks like that will be June. I liked every plant you looked at BTW. Can't wait to see the pics of the finished project.
Nice. Your husband was RIGHT about the Japanese Maple. They look GREAT when they get big.
Try planting different colored Azaleas TOGETHER. They turn out pretty interesting looking when you do that.
The reason not to do a ground-cover exactly but mulch instead? Weeds. Okie weeds get everywhere. Make them easy to pull out. Tromping in ground cover (especially if it is sticky?) ... not so much fun. Mulch makes them easier to control. Roll out the black tarp stuff to help keep weeds at bay, then cover with the mulch.
Mom's advice: Plant the Japanese Maple in the yard and get some geraniums and put them in puts on the porch. Instant landscape.
Where is this large acreage anyway?
Sadly, I haven't been fishing since last September. Or maybe it was October. Either way, it's been too long.
Hey, it's snowing here, too! Waves at Milk River . . .
Lilac is a MUST. It's a staple in Albuquerque gardens, and one of my earliest flower/scent memories. Hearty, smells like heaven, and it attracts bees like crazy.
Other than that, I have no advice. This house we're in came with landscaping already finished and it was so pretty and perfect, I've pretty much left it, with the exception of veggies in raised beds, some groupings of my beloved bearded iris, and a very hearty shrub rose my in-laws brought me as a present a couple years ago. Can't remember the name, but I put it in where a 15 year old lavender plant finally went to wood.
As for fishing. All I can say is: you lucky ducky! Look at all those lovely bass!
bwahahaha. I love that you both pitched the yard work and went fishing... clearly, something you both enjoy together. When I was your age, I tried to do this schniz by myself (sometimes with Mr. Boxer, often not.) it's not easy. The professionals are paid what they're paid for a reason.... it ain't easy.
I fish on my grandparent's ponds when I'm in Oklahoma, but I always used live minnows.
Nice work on filling the basket . . .
May smackdown announced, stop by to say you're in. :)
Post a Comment