I've had migraines my whole life. I know with certainty I've had them since age 5. I'm sure I've had them before that, but I really don't remember. Over the years the frequency and intensity have varied but they've never stopped. There are several kinds of migraines, and I know people who suffer from the kind that last days or weeks at a time. Sweet mother of pearl, I don't know what I would do if that were the kind that plagued me. It makes me think that the pain endured is just different somehow. Because there is absolutely no way whatsoever I could do anything I would call a normal activity with the pain I have. I have debilitating pain. When it strikes me, all I can do is lay in bed, in the dark and not move. The slightest glimmer of light or sound sends a pain through my body that I can't even describe. Even worse than that, is any kind of movement. Any slight adjustment of my head kills me. It's at those moments when I think I'd rather die than live another agonizing moment with that pain. The best description I can give is that it feels like a giant hand inside my skull, squeezing my brain with all it's might, and slowly turning it around in my head. Imagine taking 5 hours to unscrew a light bulb. Slow like that.
Over the years, I've learned how to tell the onset. I see little star bursts, like a quick display of teeny tiny little white fireworks. I tend to momentarily lose peripheral vision, and then black spots cloud over my sight. Sometimes taking an Excedrin right around this part will knock the migraine out completely. Sometimes, it just makes it manageable. There are times, however, when nothing works. I just have to succumb to the attack, and life comes to a screeching halt.
It's taken some practice, but I've learned some things that can trigger them. Stress. But usually the stress induced one can usually be stopped with medicine. Fluorescent lighting. Sucks. It should be outlawed. A lot of reading under fluorescent lights is just a migraine waiting to happen. I know there are some foods that can fuel a migraine, but I've never been able to pinpoint exactly which foods. Sometimes, missing a meal will bring one. Lack of sleep or too much sleep can cause one. But the most annoying thing of all is the unpredictability. There is no way to determine when one may strike, or when it does, how intense it will be. When I have one, it's life altering, and the migraine always wins.
The frequency of being affected has dwindled a bit as when I was a kid, but the severity has become substantially stronger. It's sort of a no win situation when I think about it. Would I rather have less powerful migraines more frequently or more agonizing migraines less often. I honestly don't know. I'm sure that which ever one I was suffering at the moment, I would say I'd rather have the other. Sometimes it hurts so bad that all I can do is cry. Which makes it worse. More often than not, they make me sick. The pressure in my head from throwing up is enough to make me wish I were dead.
I estimate that I was affected by migraines 3 to 4 times a month when I was a kid. (mom, would you say that is a fair guess?) Sometimes more, usually not less. It wasn't until about 5 or 6 years ago that I can noticeably recall a longer duration between attacks. I didn't realize at first, but I remember one day thinking that it had been a while since I had had a headache. Since then, they seem to be fewer and farther between. I suppose that would be a blessing. Hummm. Perhaps they are more intense now, because I am older and can tolerate more pain? Surely not. But maybe. This is the first time that has crossed my mind. I do feel fortunate that for the most part my migraines don't last longer than a day.
I've read that migraine is a disease. I guess I can see that. It makes me rethink my definition of disease. I mean, it isn't like there is a cure for migraines. You're either a victim or you're not. I haven't found any research that says genetics plays a role, and as far as I am aware, there is no one in my family who suffers from migraines. So, what is it about me and my makeup that is the perfect migraine breeding ground? I don't know. I'm just rambling at this point. It's late, and I need to go to bed.
I'll be around some tomorrow. Troll's haiku contest debuts tomorrow, and the theme is 'Sport.' I encourage you to participate. Just visit his blog and leave your haiku in his comment section. He'll announce the winner on the next Mute Monday post. It should be fun.
8 comments:
Horrible aren't they?! After a bad car accident many years ago I suffered much like you are now. Drugs made no difference, nothing seemed to help except laying prone in the dark with a cold pack over my eyes...and even then..
Mine was from neck damage and I eventually overcame it by strengthening my neck with gentle exercise. However I spent some time in a pain clinic learning techniques for pain control and a senior doctor told me to try a half dose of pain killers (codeine)with a small amount of Marijuana. (yes, really)
It did actually work and is recommended for cancer patients here as well... that was many years ago now and I no longer use it or codeine but thought it was worth passing that on to you. (I have no idea about the legal aspects of that where you are)
I have a good friend that gets migraines. He said he saw an aura just before they started, similar to what you described. I count myself fortunate that I've never had one, and I feel bad for those of you who do have to suffer through them. I hope it's a long time before your next one.
This post makes me sad. I'd say possibly since the age of 2-3 even. You'd get sick at day care and they'd call me to come get you, but by then you'd be over it. Then I'd say 2x a month and it was usually on a Tuesday every other week. Almost like clockwork. You had to miss a few events because of it. Just took a day of your life every so often to deal with them. Me sad. Did you have one recently?
They are horrible. My friend Jean gets them and they are intense. Sometimes lasting for 2 days. I feel for her and you. It is nice to know that they do not effect your creativity and otherwise sunny disposition.
i had them for years, in my thirties they were off the charts bad. i was in the trial for the first imitrex..it was a shot you gave yourself in the leg. the first times it worked pretty well, but then it just made me throw up. im sure you have experienced nausea with these headaches and if you do throw up the pain in your head is enough to drive you off a cliff. vaso-dialators are the right path for treatment, but they dont have it right yet. the imitrex oral never did work for me.
eventually i developed a strategy that was a combination of ice, valium and vicodin and a dark quiet room as you mentioned. not that pain killers really work -takes it down a notch thats all. but the valium helped with the neck tightness..as you know the pain makes you hold yourself kind of stiffly. ice seems counterintuitive but its helpful.
by the time i was forty they just tapered off to rare which suggests to me a connection with hormone production.
I am really really sorry you have this; its a life stealer and you are always wondering if it is going to come along and wreck your plans. wish i could send you a massage...i think they help as well. i tried a guy who was an expert at sacro-cranium massage. it was pretty good. try it.
xoxoxoxox
This sucks. Flat-out sucks. My wife gets them, and I feel bad every single time as there's just not much you can do sometimes, while other times you can sort of head them off if you catch it early. Hope you're feeling better at this point, and can enjoy the weekend migraine-free.
That sucks. "E" had them and had all sorts of theories about what set them off. Mostly stuff I did.
I had no idea that's what they were.
My ex-wives both had a migraine, but they divorced me.
(every time i saw the spotty things, I knew to sit down. At 6'5 it's a long way down...)I thought they were flashbacks, but had never had a bad acid trip, ever.
Isn't that funny?
I used to like acid...
now i get acid indigestion, and, I don't like it so much.
oh well.
Such is life, eh?
Post a Comment