Here is my entry: Baked Beans and Braised Short Ribs.
First, my version of BAKED BEANS!!
Now, get 2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce and pour it in a bowl.
add in 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar,
and 2 tablespoons of spicy mustard.
Now, put the onion and pepper in a pan and let it simmer.
Once it has simmered - about 3 or 4 minutes, pour in a can
of your favorite baked beans, and let that simmer a while longer.
After about 5 minutes, pour in the sauce mixture and stir it up.
Next, transfer it to a baking pan, and throw on some slices of bacon.
Because bacon makes everything just that much better.
Cook it in the oven at 350 for 2 hours.
Now, I present you with this:
And now, for the main attraction, I present you with Braised Beef Short Ribs.
(chef's note: This recipe calls for the use of a Dutch Oven. But this is the Non Dutch Oven version, and it worked out just fine.)
Here is the starting line up:
1 onion. 1 shallot. 2-3 carrots. Lean Bacon.
(that's right. Because bacon just makes everything *that* much better.)
8-10 Beef Short Ribs.
First, chop the bacon up in little bits, and throw it in a pan while you prepare the other stuff.
Dice up the onion, shallot and carrots...
Remove the bacon from the pan, but don't drain the goodness that it left behind. (It's lean bacon, remember, so there won't be much.) Then toss in the veggies, and let them simmer.
After about 5 minutes or so, add in 1 can of beef broth, and 2 cups of Red, Red Wiiiiiine.
(sorry, I just had UB40 moment.)
Let all that simmer away while you get the ribs ready.
Use salt and pepper to taste to your liking.
Once you're done, coat each one in some flour.
and, I cannot express this enough, DO NOT wear your
Black, Danckin pants when making this meal.
Trust me. I know from experience.
Now, transfer your sauce in the pan to a bowl, OR, use another pan
(I don't have another one, so I have to use the same pan over and over)
to brown the ribs in some olive oil.
Just about a minute on each side is all.
Once done, transfer them to a baking dish.
(Note, I had to use 2, because of the lack of a Dutch Oven.)
Now, pour your sauce mixture over the top and bake for 2 and a half hours.
After the timer goes off, you'll end up with this:
Oh. My. Gawd. You just don't know. Falling-off-the-bone-delicious.
Are you taste buds salivating? I just had to wipe a little drool off of my chin.
Look, I got this recipe from one of my favorite websites,
and if you don't try this soon, well - there should be no reason why you don't try this soon.
Trust me. I wouldn't lie to you.
Seriously. This weekend. Make this.
You'll thank me.
22 comments:
I just ate lunch and, still, I'm drooling. And organizing the bus to your house. Fabulous job!
OMG. Why wasn't I invited for dinner? And this looks just like the sort of leftovers I love. Bring me a dish of those beans tonight please.
Wow! wow! wow!
I am definitely getting on the Moi bus for dinner at your place.
I am just so impressed with the comprehensiveness and photography of this post. Fine job, I am drooling from just the pictures, now if I could smell ...
You have so many step-by-step pictures that if you scroll through real fast, you have a movie. Bwahaha
I'm really liking this meal. I've modiifed bake beans before with onion, sugar peppers and molasses, but never baked them before and never tought of using bacon. Although 2 hours at 350 seems a little long. I would have thought they would dry out.
Now the short ribs can take a 2 hour (or more) braise. I bet they were tender. Add a little salad and a nice lager and that's all you need. Nicely done.
Good afternoon Kym,
High 5's you back! What a great presentation. This looks so good I can feel my arteries harden as I think about it.
So you'll pick me up at Will Rogers, right?
Yes, salivating. Literally. Truly.
I'm definately making those fabulous baked beans. Not sure if I'll make the short ribs but they sounded ggggrrrrreat!
happy throwdown day!
Delicious!
My Mom makes some amazing baked beans that have a lot in common with yours.
She goes with maple syrup where you go with BBQ sauce, but very similar otherwise.
I'm making yours!
Moan....!
This is SUCH comfort wif' plenty of substance. Oh mah heavens.
Uncle will put this right at the top of the list.
Hope Moi's bus swings way south!
Moi: k. Dinner's usually at 7. :)
Mumsie: Oh, let me tell you that we actually liked the leftovers better. nom nom nom.
Fishy: Oh the smell that permeated my house, it was divine.
Buzz: Acutally, the beans didn't dry out at all. They were mighty tastey.
Karl: Just let me know what time your flight gets in. :)
Troll: aw c'mon! The ribs were the best part.
FC: Give 'em a whirl! Let me know what you think. I've tried them with the maple syrup, and thought they were a tad too sweet.
Auntie: Let me know what Uncle thinks about it. Come on over. :)
I gotta tell you first...this is a work of incredible opposites.
All of which look delicious!
But, dinner here just started so, I gotta git.
Hawaiin chicken, asparagus and desert
Wow! I gotta say, you did a great job. I love the photos and the recipe is great too. It made this vegetarian salivate for all the wrong reasons. :-) Nicely done, DOLL!
OMG!!!! Soooooo yummy! Save me a seat on the bus!
It's after midnight and I can smell bacon! And beef! Ruf would hate it but Im salivating :)
The end result looks much better than I would have guessed. Sign me up. Ha. Have a good weekend.
Hi Doll, I've declared a Wiener, so drop on by!
Just HAD to take a quickie squiz while i'm wolfin' down a quick sammie and HAD to TAKE A LOOK at the winner's dish! KYM! YOu ROCK, I was so inspired BY YOUR DISH that I immediately put on my "list of things to do once the f*cking SuperBowl is over" to buy short ribs for dinner on Monday! woo hoo!
Congrats dear, you made me drool! Ok gotta finish me roasted tomatoes and garlic....
Congratulations! I have to admit that green peppers dont like me... so I will have to find an alternative :)
High Five to you Kym!! Much deserved win.
Can't wait to see what you pick for the next challenge.
Congratulations Kym!
A well deserved win. A good recipe and a lot of effort, always a winner.
So what's it gonna be?
Congrats again!
You'll need to post something officially so I can cut-and-paste your Throwdown Announcement at TTR.
The terms are currently scattered over 4-6 comments at Moi's place and confuzzling.
1) March 5th?
2) Must use pepperoni?
3) Must do kitchen pics too? Points for this?
4) You'll be the Judge? You might be the Judge?
hahhah. I know, I know. I've been very sleep deprived, and I just went back to read my comments. woah. just woah.
OK - March 5. Must use pepperoni. I've asked Moi if she would like me to judge for her this time. If yes, then yes I will award points for kitchen pics. If Moi wants to hang on to her judging role, then it's up to her if she wants to award points for kitchen pics. :)
This makes much more sense now that I've had a night to sleep.
Hi Kym, I can't participate in that lovely pepperoni challenge, I'll be traveling overseas...but good luck and have fun! I wanted to tell you that I watched Cook's Illustrated Test Kitchen on Sat. and they were showing how to make BONELESS short ribs! I'm going to try and see if they sell them at the grocery or try doing them myself, it really cuts the fat down but keeps the flavor! Congrats again!
Post a Comment