Sunday, September 27, 2009

Mute Monday - The 80's toys (and books and clothing articles) that played a role in my childhood.





12 comments:

Jenny said...

growing up in the 80's and being a young adult wasn't much different.... I just didn't have a cabbage patch doll!

You are proof that some good things came out of that decade. :-)

Happy MM!

h said...

I remember Cabbage Patch Kids and the clever way they were marketed.

Happy Mute Monday!

Buzz Kill said...

We had Atari and matchboxes. My sister-in-law was a huge cabbage patch collector. She was one of those nuts that stood in line over night for them. She still has a bunch in there original boxes and with birth certificates so now she's not so crazy.
But most of my toys were from - the 70s *shudder*

Happy MM!

K9 said...

my little pony! you know, she grew up to be sarah jessica parker. happy MM

You loving mum said...

Awww, BabaCake and Grumpy Bear!!! And dogs that bark and chase ducks (Nintendo), and Cabbage Patch dolls. You are taking me back to YOUR childhood!

moi said...

Bwahahahaha to K9! I always thought the Cabbage Patch dolls looked kinda freaky.

MinorityReport said...

Sweet Valley High!! OMG. I forgot about those books. I LOVED them. Happy MM. :)

Do you remember the board game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDc5SVYwB8g&feature=player_embedded

Karl said...

Good afternoon Kmwthay,

I predate most of these toys by a decade or so, but I remember when the game pong came out (it was a precursor to Nintendo) and can remember thinking. Well...this is boring, these things will never catch on.

Happy Mute Monday

fishy said...

Kym,
I see you and Mermaid had some common denominators in your childhood! If I had only known all those My Little Ponies would grow into My Big Expensive Sport Horses!
Beautiful post .... very endearing to us who experienced mothering all you 80's babies.

Johnny Carrino said...

I broke my leg when I was 3 and when they put on the hip-to-toe plaster cast, the doctor also put a cast on my Cabbage Patch doll. Of course my mom had to get some sweet Olan Mills photos taken to commemorate the event. It was a guy cabbage patch so don't judge.

Kymical Reactions said...

Boxie: Thanks sugah! I had a good time back then. And you’re not so bad yourself!!

Troll: By the time I was 10 or so I think I had 7 or 8 Cabbage Patch dolls.

Buzz: I think I still have all of mine, but they were well played with, and doubt I have any of the boxes left. 

K9: BUHHAHAHAHAH!

Mom: I know you and Johnny bear used to sneak into my room and play Excite Bike and Tetris, and such things after I was asleep.

Moi: It was their yarn hair. It never brushed right.

Minority Report: I do remember the board game. I wanted to be Jessica so bad!

Karl: ahhh, the Atari. What a great stepping stone into the future it was!

Fishy: I’m so glad your Mermaid has joined us in the blogging world. I’m excited to get to know her as a blogger!

Johnny Carrino: Gerherhahahahah!!! Please, please send me that picture.

Anonymous said...

Hey I still have all my My Little Ponies and Breyer horses and books and hot wheels.... I really need to clean out some closets!