Saturday, April 11, 2009

I'm the reason why a fragile ego doesn't fly.

What is with friggin kids these days? What happened to manners and politeness and plain ole courtesy?

I went to the grocery store yesterday. I got the necessities to last me and the husband for the next two weeks. (hopefully - he got laid off from his job while he was recovering from his knee surgery, and has been spending a lot more time at home. Which means he eats because he is board. Which means the trips to the grocery store are more frequent.)

Anyway, I did my shopping, paid and came home. I pulled into my driveway, put the car in park, and glanced in the back seat to make a quick estimate about how many trips I would have to make to get the groceries in the house.

When I turned around, there were two boys, I would guess about 12 or 13 standing about three feet behind my car. Honestly, it startled me. I thought, where did they appear from? Was I daydreaming and not paying attention and nearly hit them with my car? I know I must have had a weird look on my face.

The bigger of the two boys (when I say bigger, he was as big as me if not taller and really overweight, but I could tell he was still pretty young) had a goofy smile on his face and was waving hello at me really fast. The other kid was standing there with his hoodie pulled over his head and head down and hands in the pouch of his hoodie. I turned around to get out of the car and as I opened the door to get out, I heard one of them say "never mind, she is a f-ing b*tch." and they turn and start to walk off.

Let me take a side note here and say, that I have a really quick temper and often speak without thinking. It happens more than I would like.

As I get out of the car, I say to the boys "What did you just say about me?" And the fat kid said "well, you were looking at me like I was a f-ing retard."

I replied, "I was looking at you because you startled me when I turned around and saw you standing right behind my car."

The smaller kid didn't say anything through out this entire incident. The fat kid then said, "well hi, I'm Craig" and put his hand out for me to shake it. I reluctantly shook his hand.
He went on to tell me that he was doing some fundraiser for his school selling magazines and was trying to earn enough points to win a trip to London.

I told him that I wasn't interested. He wasn't satisfied with that answer. He then said to me, "well, what's your problem lady? I know you can afford it. Look at all those groceries in your car." I quickly became annoyed with this kid and informed him that an attitude like that wasn't going to make me want to buy a magazine from him. He then said, "man, you're a b*tch."

OK folks. I lost it. I mean, I lost my friggin cool. I know he was just a young, immature punk who wasn't worth my time, but he really pissed me off. Bad.

I said a lot of things to that kid. I am really ashamed of myself for the things that came out of my mouth. So ashamed, that I am reluctant to say it here for you all to read about.

The kid eventually threatened to go get his dad. I told him that I'd love for him to go get his dad, because I wanted his dad to know what a little punk his son was. Then I said some not very nice, or lady like, things about his dad. The kid finally said, "ok, enough" and then I told him he needed to get his fat ass out of my sight.

The other kid in the hoodie started to cry. I was in a bad mood for the rest of the day. Now, I have big remorse. I know it wasn't right for me to get in a verbal argument with a kid. And I keep trying to justify my actions to make myself not feel so guilty.

It isn't working.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

You have had a great deal of legitimate stress in your life right now; your aunt, your husband and life in general. Give yourself a BIG break. It's not the kid, but more the fact that life isn't very nice right now.... and it seems like you can't even catch a break while shopping. You're not a bad person. Don't feel guilty. Just remember you're human and things are difficult right now. XOXO

Native Minnow said...

Should've just backed over him while you had the chance ;-)

Linzy with a Z said...

My dad always told me "you better not start a fight, but you better finish it!" I think you finished it. Those twats need to learn to be respectful and if they want to sell magazines they sure need to learn a better approach cause that was just awful. I agree with boxer that you have some legit stress in your life and the last thing you needed was those shitty kids giving you grief. We all lose our cool, so don't be hard on yourself! Muah :)

Do we have to go to work tomorrow?!

Pam said...

1. Do you know for sure they actually live in your neighborhood? Some of those things are a scam.

2. Kids in hoodies that are as big as grown-ups sometimes mean bad things to ladies who are alone in their cars -- like grab your purse and run. Your initial response was probably a self defense response.

3. Watch that temper, girl. You don't want to be a target for those kids in the future. Call a truce at your first opportunity.

Anonymous said...

I wish I was a fly buzzing near or around this area when this went down, that's all I'm saying! LMAO! - Christi

Milk River Madman said...

Loved how you called his bluff on "I'm going to call my dad". I had the same thing happen to me years ago when I caught some kids spray painting our building. I grabbed one of the kids' bike and he said he was going to tell his dad and he did. When I showed his dad the graffitti, he made his kid clean it up and I got to keep the bike til it was done to my satisfaction.