Thursday, June 10, 2010

and.....she's back.

Hiya. If you've wondered where I've been, I'll tell ya. Vacation. I wish I were still there. This year, vacation was kind of a last minute thing. We knew the dates. We just couldn't decided where. Initially, Tennessee was calling our names, but Mother Nature had other ideas. Like flooding Nashville. I wanted to go to Yellowstone. Or the Redwood Forrest. Except the drive would have been too long, and the husband doesn't fly. He's so lame. So, upon much discussion, we went back to a place we fell in love with on our honeymoon. Colorado.
I love Colorado. If by some chance a financial windfall comes my way, I'm going to buy a little vacation home in Estes Park right on the Fall River. That river comes right out from the Rocky Mountain National Park and eventually meets up with the Arkansas River.

Anyway - here is a recap of our trip.
The three days we spent in Colorado Springs. We visited Seven Falls. It's an area with... wait for it... Seven Waterfalls. Truly a sight to behold, the best view is from the top, looking down. Except that there are 300 stairs... steep stairs... to get to the top. Once we made it, and caught our breath, (altitude sickness set in rapidly) we took a hike. There is a trail that leads to Inspiration Point, to the grave site of Helen Hunt Jackson. She was a poet of the late 1800's and Inspiration Point is the place that inspired much of her work.
We went back to Garden of the Gods. It's beautiful and it's free. It's just amazing geology, and a great way to spend an afternoon. Now, there are some adventure seekers who think it's exciting to climb and rappel from these massive rocks. Me? Not so much.
We made it to the Royal Gorge, too. It's home to the highest suspension bridge in the world, which is only slightly nerve racking when it shakes wildly as a car drives over as you're walking across. State flags adorn the bridge, and they made me miss my blogger friends.

We rode the sky car across the gorge and for four and a half minutes, I was a little worried for my life.
Wednesday was my favorite day. We spent the day at Elich Gardens, an amusement park in downtown Denver. We picked the best day to go, too. I'm kidding. The park opened over the Memorial Weekend from being closed from the winter. And a ton of junior high kids were there on a field trip for the last day of school. (this will be important in a just a minute.) I love roller coasters. And for and admission price of fifty bucks a person, I thought these roller coasters had better be some of the best I've ever ridden. They were pretty awesome. What wasn't awesome were the seventh graders who kept cutting in line right in front of us. And not even sneaky about it. After the, I don't know - say, thirtieth time, I'd had enough. I mean, there were signs everywhere that said "line jumping is cause for removal from the park." Have I let you in on my snarky side? Because I unleashed it on a bunch of preteens in a line for an amusement park ride. After being cut in line, again, it went something like this:

Me: Hey what grade are you guys in?

Them: seventh! (teenage attitude and all.)
Me: Man, that sucks that seventh graders are so stupid these days.
Them: What are you talking about?

Me: See that sign? (pointing to the sign about line jumping)
Them: ...So?
Me: I just can't believe that they're not teaching reading and comprehension in junior high. It's sad.
Them: asshole.
I just smiled, like I won a victory for all adults over the age of thirty.

After the amusement park, we headed over to the Red Rocks. We went when we were there in 2008, and it was one of our most favorite spots. There are two massive rocks, side by side, that form a natural amphitheater like effect. As a result, some smart people back in the day turned it into an awesome amphitheater. We noticed a lot of traffic when we got there, and eventually came to some parking attendants. They asked if we were there for the show. Uh, what show?


Tom Petty and the Heartbrakers. What??? We made our way to the box office and promptly purchased two of the remaining five available tickets. Opening Act? Joe Cocker. What an awesome day of telling off junior high kids and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
(Joe C.)
(Tommy P. who told us to "smoke em' if ya got em')

The last two days we spent in Estes Park. Literally right outside of the Rocky Mountain National Park. I think Jesus might live there, because the place is heaven. It's a quaint little niche in the world where time seems unimportant. People who live on the Fall River walk right out their front doors to fly fish for rainbow trout. Elk from the National Park venture outside the boundaries to graze on the resident's lawns. But, they remain unbothered by the people.
It's my most favorite place I've ever seen. If you love all things nature, and appreciate earthly beauty, please visit Estes Park. And when I get that windfall and buy a summer home there, you most certainly are welcome to stay with me.

8 comments:

Tempo said...

Hi Kym, It looks and sounds like a great holiday...half your luck, it's been a long time since I've had a decent holiday.

fishy said...

" I think Jesus might live there"
You are right, He does and isn't it nice of Him to share with us? So glad you had a good time...but if you do ever make it to Tennessee? Remember it's just the other side of our mountains ... we could meet at the top!

Karl said...

Good morning Kym,

That's a beautiful place, glad you enjoyed your vacation.

Jenny said...

what a beautiful post. You managed to squeeze in nature AND great music, not easy on a trip not really planned. I've never spent much time in Colorado, but my best friend from college is from there and swears Jesus does live there!

Welcome home. You've been missed. I hope your weekend is a relaxing one. I told Moi... "re-entry is a bitch" after vacation.

CarrieMarie said...

What an awesome trip! I love amusement parks, and one of the last times my dad & I were at Cedar Pointe, he got snarky with some smokers in line - who were smoking right by the NO SMOKING sign in line! They didn't really stop, but I was proud of him for standing up for the rules!

And how nifty that you happened to be there right at concert time! Those are the best kinda shows. : )

2 Dollar Productions said...

Nice. Hope you enjoyed the trip as it looks great. I'm a big fan of Colorado myself especially when it's hot as hell, which it is now in Austin and I'm sure up your way.

And I saw Petty a few years ago at the ACL fest and he put on a good show in the rain.

Now you come back to the debacle of the Big 12 . . . blame Nebraska - a bunch of jack-offs running that place. Grrr.

moi said...

Pissing off teenagers is one of the great privileges of being over 30. Or in my case, over 40. Yeah, buddy. How was Tom Petty? His new album sounds interesting. And your vacation sounds like something I'd love to do myself. We don't get up to Colorado nearly often enough. You should also know there's great running there :o)

Native Minnow said...

I've been to most of the places you mention (except seven waterfalls and that huge suspension bridge), and it is gorgeous there. Colorado is on my list of places I could live and be very happy.