I turned in my notice at work this week. It was/is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I never thought I'd leave. Ever. Everyone is extremely close, and they really are like my second family. And I suppose I'm having a little guilt because of that closeness. I sort of feel like I'm betraying them somehow. I mean, I don't suppose there is ever a "good time" to tell your employer that you are leaving. It's just that this week has been exceptionally hard because there is so much more going on than normal, and in a way, I'm leaving them high and dry.
I'm also having a little guilt for being excited about this new job. Like, maybe I shouldn't be excited during work hours. I don't know. It's not like I have just found out about this new possibility. I've known about it for about two months, and it's been agonizing not being able to tell someone. I feel like I'm making the best decision I can. I've weighed the pros and cons staying vs. leaving, and I'm choosing the personal growth option. Is that selfish? I don't know.
Anyway, so while all of this has been weighing heavy on me, I've decided to post some things that have made me giddy happy over the past few weeks.
A few weekends ago I got to go the U2 concert. Tickets were a gifty from my awesome mom who ended up with two sets of tickets when she opted to splurge on *much* better seats. I was just thrilled to get to go! Let me tell you something. That stage was awesome. Awesome. It was at Owen Field. (the home of my Sooners!) I've been to that stadium I don't know how many times. It seats around 86thousand people. I've never felt like it was a small stadium. This stage? Well, it dwarfed that stadium. It was this massive spaceship, claw like, contraption. It had this space needle thingy at the very top that at one point during the show exposed a giant disco ball. Then, all these spot lights hit this disco ball and the sky was transformed into a spectacular light show. Ah-may-zing. So cool. Seriously, the BEST concert I've ever been too.
This past Friday I received this from a special blogger friend from the PNW:
Do you recognize it? Doesn't it look like something similar you've seen here? I thought so. When I opened the package to find this retro gem, I squealed in delight. I want to send a special shout out to Miss PNW herself, and thank her for her generosity, and allowing me to have such a treasure. I would love to do something for you someday. It would be an honor. :)
Last weekend husband and I went to Ft. Worth for his cousins wedding. She got married at the historical Public Library in downtown Ft. Worth. It was the first wedding the library has ever hosted, and let me tell you, it won't be their last. It was gorgeous. And she totally played up the library theme. When the ceremony was over and we walked to the reception area, we came to a table that had the name of each guest on a little piece of paper. On the back of the piece of paper was the name of an author.
That's how we found the table we were seated at. We walked around to find the author that matched the name on our paper. Each table had a 5x7 picture of an author, and we had to find the one on our paper. There was an Edgar Allan Poe, Maya Angelou, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and Jane Austin. There were others, but those are the ones I remember. Husband and I had Langston Hughes. It was pretty darn cool.
Anyway, this is what has been going on in my life lately. I hope things are going well for you.
I'll be back for Mute Monday, where the theme is CLASSIC(S). I've yet to figure out what I'll do with that, but I'll think of something! Have a good weekend!
6 comments:
First, congratulations. A new job opportunity is always a good thing. And my vote is that there is no way you could turn down something that excites you & offers more room for growth. That being said, it still feels bad leaving a place you've been for so long. I've done it with jobs and it is lousy. But, you've got some great things to look forward to, so make sure to enjoy them. The U2 tickets sounds great. Have a good Halloween weekend.
Is the new organization a competitor of the old one?
Sending you that ornament made me so happy that I may start a "ornament of the week" thing in November because there are more where that came from! (but different, not like the one you received. I've "retired" that one)
I understand how you feel about your job. I left a second family to start working for the Company I now co-own. In the end, you need to do what's best for you and your family and to be that excited about a new job? That's wonderful. You're allowed to be happy about it. Even during work hours. :-)
Have a great weekend.
2$: Thanks. and in the end, I agree with picking personal growth. It's still hard though, because I do love this job and most everyone who works here.
Troll: No, doesn't compete at all. I'm moving out of the non profit sector.
Boxie: I love my gold star. You just don't even realize my immence love for gold things. and star things. and retro things. This was like a triple play. And I scored big time. Thanky thanky thanky. I love it.
1. The job that finds you is always worth checking into. I know you will love and miss your folks there at CH, but you are leaving on a good note, not for bad reasons. ANd I already know two people who might want to apply to replace you.
2. I love LOVE the wedding idea. That is super clever. And L's cousin was a hoot at your wedding, would love to meet up with her again one day.
3. I am here to attest to the gold retro star girl that you are.
And I love my girl. Proud of your choices and reasoning. Keep growing mentally and spiritually. Life is yours for the taking.
Wow--amazin' week youse havin' Sweet Chile'!
Go fer the new job wif' a clear conscious, Kym. If yore second family loves ya, they's thrilled fer yore new opportunity.
Mama Pam is a dear! THat concert looked out of this wolrd!!
An' a weddin' in a library? How fun is that? Is the couple book-connected? ( publishers, editors, bookstore owners? )
ALl the best in the new job!!
Post a Comment