Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good:

I didn't expect OU to beat Miami. I was right. But the bright side is that OU looked and played much, much better than I had given them credit for. We've lost 2 game by a total of 2 points. The Defense really impressed me. (sort of, but I'll get to that in The Bad. Or The Ugly. I just haven't thought that far ahead yet.) There were plenty of penalties, but nothing like the usual 4 gazillion that normally happen. I thought the defense looked better than they have in the past 2 years. On offence, Landry "Stache Man" Jones has proven that he has what it takes to be OU's starting quarterback. It's really hard to tell if he is more accurate than Bradford, because apparently catching the ball isn't a big area the coaches work on in practice. The offensive line really stepped up their game tonight, compared to the previous 3 games. The Sooners gave me moments of hope that they would win. They had plenty of chances to capitalize on scoring, but it just wasn't meant to be.


The Bad:

Mostly, the play calls. Both Offense and Defense. Kevin Wilson needs a bigger play book. Yes Kevin, we all saw how on an early drive Jones handed the ball to Chris Brown and he got excellent yardage on a third down. Please hear this: "WHY THE HELL DID YOU CALL TO RUN THAT PLAY ON JUST ABOUT EVERY DOWN??????" Did you not think Miami would figure it out? Get a bigger play book. How did you even get this job?? I can't blame the players for this loss. They played excellent. It was the play calling. Brent V wasn't much better with Defense calls. But that wasn't totally unexpected. Linebacker Blitz! Safety Blitz. Why can't he see that when there are 8 guys in the box ready to blitz that there is no one to cover the bloody middle? I just don't get it. Seriously, all that is necessary is to have 4 guys on the line bringing the pressure and let the rest cover the pass up the middle!? This is my argument every game. I scream and holler, and this time I even have lost my voice. I'm not as pissed off as I thought I would be, but I'm still feeling annoyed.


The Ugly:

Brent Venables. I think this guy must be on crank. And now he's starting to look a bit like an alien.

4 comments:

Pam said...

I quit watching at half time. Probably a good thing. They used up all the trick plays early and already were doing the up-the-middle trick. Which is no trick because a high school junior varsity could have figured out how to defend it. Could have won it, the heart was there, but hey it was a great showing on Miami home turf. And I'm really liking Landry.

fishy said...

Kym,
Happy First Anniversary!
You spent the day with a flatscreen?
You ARE a dedicated fan and your Mr. must be too. Hope this coming year will be blessed with much joy.

h said...

You guys know your football and I'm very impressed. Some OU and media idiots ARE blaming Landry Jones.

1) His arm is stronger than Bradford's.

2) He doesn't get rattled on the rare occassions that OU sees a decent defense.

3) The quality of the RECEIVERS at OU has dropped dramatically due to injury and graduation. That isn't the QB's fault.

I'm not saying he's BETTER than Bradford overall, but you're right and the media is wrong to blame him for the loss.

The Stache is ghey and needs to go, but he's a legit talent.

AC said...

At least the Yankees are winning.