Friday, October 16, 2009

Culinary Throwdown: Meat and Potatoes

Steak Bites and Crash Hot Potatoes! yummy.


The Lineup:


First, wash the red potatoes and boil them until they are super soft.



Once the potatoes are done, put them on a baking sheet and mash them open, but not flat.
(the baking sheet should have some olive oil drizzled on the pan)
Sprinkle them with Sea Salt, and Pepper. Then brush olive oil all over the potatoes.
Don't skimp on this.



Place the pan in a preheated oven at 350, and bake for 25 minutes.
While the potatoes are in the oven, cut the steak into bits.
(trim away the fat and gristle)


Season the meat with pepper and salt (and what ever else spices you like)
then place in a heated pan with some melting butter.

Let the pieces sit there and sizzle undisturbed for about 45 seconds, then flip them over and brown for 30 - 45 seconds on the other side. (this way, it stays super pink in the middle.)

Once the potatoes are done, serve and enjoy. But be warned, it's always better to make more potatoes than you think you need, because they are delicious and you'll be taking bites straight off the pan before they even make it to the plate.

Served with a home made pumpkin bread muffin.
I also made asparagus but I got a little too excited and forgot to take a picture.

10 comments:

Dinner Guest said...

So tell me again when you are cooking this for me and your step-dad???? YUMMMMMMMM!

Buzz Kill said...

I told Karl over at his place that I love steak pan-fried in real butter. And that is a diffferent way to prepare potatoes that I have not seen before. Looks easy, I'll have to try that. Asparagus is a great accompaniment for steak and potatoes too.
Nice job.

h said...

That looks delectable and is making Mr. Stomach growl. And the muffin is sure to score points with the Undaunted Baker.

YUM!

Jenny said...

crash hot potatoes. I've never heard of these, but I love them. I make a version with fresh rosemary/olive oil baked in the oven, but why not smash 'em?

Nice entry and I could follow everything very easily. I hope Moi puts you at the top. :-)

Karl said...

Good afternoon Kmwthay,

What a neat way to do the potatoes! Fun to cook, smashing them could be a good stress reliever and they look like a lot of fun to eat.

Sauteed Asparagus is one of my favorites. The whole meal looks quite tasty.

moi said...

Mmmmmm . . . Very mouthwatering, Kym!

Moi points for:

1. Fabulous ease of cooking.

2. Crash hot potatoes – always a GO!

3. Pumpkin bread muffin lagniappe.

Dang, it's going to be a difficult decision.

Aunty Belle said...

Yum!

Cain'tbwait to try this!!

moi said...

Howdy Miz Kym! Drop by Moi's Blob – I've announced the Throw Down winner!

LaDivaCucina said...

I never saw 'taters done like this and they look pretty darn good! It always amazes me how you can prepare a simple potato so many ways. Darn! I'm hungry again!!!

fishy said...

Kymical Girl.... taught me something different today, I didn't know about these smashed potatoes but will be trying them directly.