It's half time. I think every Sooner fan just said "oh shit" in unison.
Let's do a quick recap. Every year OU coaches say "this is the best defense under Stoops." And every year, it's the same old ridiculous defense. All they've got is a Linebacker blitz and a Safety blitz. We get burned up the middle EVERY TIME. Honestly, I have to question just how smart every other team that plays OU is. Because if they were smart, they'd throw it up the middle on every play and gain 7+ yards, no question. The year OU has the best defense under Bob Stoops is the year Brent Venables leaves the payroll. There's no coverage up the middle, and we over shoot tackles. I wish someone would tell Bobby that sometimes it's not always a good idea to recruit on speed alone.
I'm feeling very frustrated. It's going to be a long season.
I missed the early games because I woke up with a migraine and it had me down and out until about 2:30. I got up then and joined husband in watching the OSU/Georgia game. I have to say that Troll is right. The SEC is the better conference. (swallowing my pride) But, I've figured it out. SEC defenses are natural at their positions. The Big XII (OU) seems to recruit for speed and turns a safety into a linebacker. When a team takes their tight end and moves him to center, they've got some problems. And Lord knows, we do. Anyway, I will rub it in that OSU beat Georgia. But not because they were the better team. OSU wanted it more. It was an excellent game and fun to watch.
Games back on. No Sam Bradford for the rest of the game. Probably not for a few more games.
I'm sick to my stomach.
Now the games over, and all I can do is shake my head. OU was out played and out coached. I could make excuses about 4 new linemen, the tight end was injured, sure we lost the QB at the half - but all that means NOTHING when I just heard that BYU has 26 injured players.
No Sam Bradford means that there's no shot of beating Miami. I don't even know that Sam will be back in time for conference play. This changes everything. But - after watching Landry Jones, a red shirt freshman, step into the QB position - I'm impressed with what I saw. He's got an arm! Now he just needs to be able to rely on the receivers to catch the darn ball!! Kevin Wilson should have let him throw some more passes. Let the kid build up his confidence for the next couple of weeks. (But he seriously needs to lose the '87 'stache.)
This was extremely reminiscent of that TCU opener game 4 years ago. It actually might be kind of fun to watch a new, young OU team try and come together and have a successful season.
I'm still sick to my stomach.
3 comments:
Hope you get over your sickness. I've always considered Jorja under Mark Richt to be more like an ACC team. But you're right about the SEC again being the best conference.
To me, Bradford looked a bit bewildered in Miami when his O-Line wasn't able to manhandle the Gators and his receivers weren't able to get wide open quickly and his backs weren't able to make long runs.
And he had the same look last night against a BYU defense that threw some wrinkles at him he wasn't expecting.
I'll watch the games against Miami and Texas before reaching any conclusions. But, judging from his last two games, he's reminding me a bit of Vinny Testeverde.
Throws for a zillion yards and looks great when his team's size and athleticism dwarfs the opponent. Gets rattled when that isn't the case or the opponent's defense does things he wasn't expecting.
Vinnie lost to FSU, Penn State and Tennessee and played poorly. Those were the only teams that matched up to his Miami teams. He shouldn't have been the Top Pick in the NFL draft. And it's possible Bradford shouldn't be either.
I was surprised BYU won. I'm not sure if it was a fluke, if BYU is better than everyone thought, if Oklahoma was overrated, or a combination of all three.
I couldn't watch it. These are the reasons I don't watch OU football much any more! Saw Sammy go down and then we left to go do something else! Ack!
Post a Comment