Wednesday, August 5, 2009

my 2009 College Football preview

Finally!!!! It's so close I can taste it in the air! That's right. Sooner Football kicks off in one month from today. September 5th can not get here fast enough. (even though it means that 3 days later I will hit the big 3Oh-no! I'm not happy about it.)

There are 3 games this year that may be in question for a win.

Here is what our schedule looks like:

9-5 BYU - Arlington, TX at the new Dallas Cowboy's stadium
9-12 Idaho State
9-19 Tulsa
10-3 @Miami *
10-10 Baylor
10-17 Texas, Dallas, TX at the Cotton Bowl *
10-24 @Kansas
10-31 Kansas State
11-7 @Nebraska
11-14 Texas A&M
11-21 @Texas Tech
11-28 Oklahoma State *


The games marked with the * are the ones that I feel may not go in the favor of the Sooners.

There is just such a long rivalry between Miami and OU that it really could come down to home field advantage. BUT what is good for OU here is that it is the game before conference play and they'll be prepared. Plus it's Miami. And the ACC just sucks.

The Texas game, well that goes without saying. Triple the hate this year, that the Longhorns have for the Sooners because of how the Big XII Championship played out. They will be out for vengeance. There are no doubts about that. Plus, they beat us last year. OU will be fully aware of this going in, and I expect there will be blood. Bevo Stew, anyone? (I'm throwing down the horns as we speak!)

The Oklahoma State game is probably my favorite all season. It's Bedlam and all that is bedlam. Every year this game could go either way. AND this is a Now or Never season for OSU. After looking over their roster and depth positions, OSU has never been in a better position to be BCS bound in my opinion. This is when I am thankful that this game will be in Norman and not Stillwater. OU would not win this game this year if it were in Orange Country.

Overall, I still think we will be Big XII Championship Bound. Probably facing Mizzou again, but possibly Nebraska. Ole Bo Pelini is making magic happen with the Huskers. I don't want to get started on Mizzu and that fat turd, Chase Daniels. I've NEVER seen such a sore loser.

I also feel that the Big XII will no doubt be the strongest conference this year.

The SEC could have made a run for it, but they only have three strong teams this year. Obviously Florida, who shouldn't stay #1 for long with such a weak schedule. Their only real challenge is going to be Georgia. And maybe LSU - but that's a BIG maybe. Georgia and Alabama are the other teams who should fair well with conference play.

The ACC is a big ole joke. Who's worth a darn for a mention? Virginia Tech? Ok, that's the best they've got. It's still not saying much. I suppose I could mention FSU, BC or Georgia Tech... but why?

Big East can count on Cincinnati again this year, and West Virginia could step it up again and have a season like their one in 2007. But I don't think Pitt will be as good this year.

The Big Eleven, er, Big Ten has a lot to look forward to. Dare I say it? Dare I say that Michigan could have a complete turn around? I have to say that I reveled in their demise last year. I snickered with each ridiculous loss. Time will tell if the Wolverines can climb their way back to a respectable level. Ohio State also has a fairly easy schedule. They play their second game against USC at home. They should win. The other two challenges they might see, but still should win are against Minnesota and Penn State. I've always liked Penn State. I think it's their helmets. I just love their classic uniforms and Jo Pa just looks like a ton of fun.

Speaking of a ton, Charlie Weis can take his Notre Dame Fighting Irish and shove it. (note: I loathe ND. I wish I could think of a stronger word than loathe to insert there.) I hate that ND can potentially get a bid for BCS games when they aren't even part of a conference. Their last several seasons, they haven't even played good enough to be on the same level as D1 schools. They are comparable to Conference USA at best. Eat another bologna sandwich Charlie, you giant cry baby.

The PAC Ten looks to stay in good shape this year. Although USC lost soooo many players. Now, if Pete Carroll gets the BCS bid with this years team, well, I will finally respect the man as a coach. Oregon and Oregon State are always fun to watch, and should win most of their games.

There isn't much to say about the WAC. Boise State isn't much to boast about. Yeah, they had a Cinderella season in 06-2007, and two near perfect seasons following. But their strength of schedule sucks. The Local High school could play Boise State's schedule and win. I'm just sayin...

Anyway, there it is, for your reading pleasure. Agree, or disagree. But I leave you with this jem:


11 comments:

moi said...

Oklahoma feels like my second home so I root for the Sooners. Shhhhh, don't tell my LSU Alum Spousal Unit. It's all Tigers, all the time 'round here.

Hey, congrats on hitting the big 3-Oh! Dahlink, the thirties are the BEST. Trust me . . .

h said...

Sigh. Every year one of the minor conferences such as the "Big" 12 have insane fans who think they're almost as good as the SEC.

And then, just like last year, and every previous year, they get their asses kicked when they face SEC Schools in Bowl games.

I.E. Missisippi stomps the "mighty" OSU cowgirls. And the Gators CHOMP the "video-game offense" OU Schooners. Funny how "video-game offenses" don't score 70 points when they play a team that plays defense.

Looking at the schedule, I see the Schooners having the same problem as last year. They won't be tested by a tough defense until their bowl game once again.

Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina,LSU and Missisippi would all go undefeated if they played in either "Big" 12 division.

As for the Pac 10, Vanderbilt would not only go undefeated, the rest of the Conference would sue them for "playing too rough".

As for Notre Dame, I think it's incredibly funny that NBC paid them a gazillion dollars to televise games that nobody with an IQ in triple digits bothers to watch.

h said...

Oops, I see OU is venturing out of the no-defense Big 12 to play Miami. So, they will play ONE team prior to bowl season that plays some defense. That's a good thing!

Milk River Madman said...

Kym,

While I somewhat share Troll's sentiments, I would have sugarcoated it a little bit more. As the only Alabama fan in the state of Montana, I live for SEC football as well as. My beloved MSU is D-1AA so The Tide are my 1-A team. Expect big things this year from them and the Bobcats of Montana State.

Like the new look and the new title. Thirty? Its no big deal. The thirties were fun. So were the 20's. I had lots of fun in my teens. pre teens were awesome! ITS ALL GOOD!!

Mom of Sooner Fan said...

Wait a minute! That looks like Erik playing the guitar. But I'm sure it isn't. Looks like some fightin' words above.

h said...

I thought I did "sugarcoat it". But I guess a little more sugar won't hurt. OU has a ton of talent and a fine coaching staff. Last year's Juniors and Seniors were better than the Gator's Juniors and Seniors.

They are HURT by the way the games are played and officiated in the "Big" 12. Bob Stoops knows that. Mack Brown knows that. Both have SAID so.

I wasn't being sarcastic about Miami and I'd bet that Stoops put them on the Schedule to toughen up his players and get them prepared to play against SEC team come bowl time.

Miami's players will HAMMER OU's QB if they get a chance. And they will lumber-truck receivers who are near or past the sideline and on incomplete passes. All the things that don't happen in the Big 12.

And that will be a learning experience for OU's players.

Native Minnow said...

It doesn't seem like football season could possibly be so close.

Heff said...

Good luck with your season. I personally have a good ass-whippin' comin' ' round this year.

2 Dollar Productions said...

Can't wait for the season to start, and I think the BYU game will be interesting. Miami will be no problem. Texas will stomp OU again. :) OSU is actually going to be really good this year. It's brutal in the Big 12 . . . Have a good weekend.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I am a football addict.....so ready for the season to start.....

Anonymous said...

Ah, the ACC. Where, until some recent unfortunate additions, many of the schools were known more for their emphasis on the student part of the student-athlete combo. Where the pride comes from not being NFL/CFL minor league franchises. Chapel Hill, Charlottesville, Ga. Tech . . . yeah, a real bunch of losers.

The season I look forward to is about mid-January, when it'll be a long, long time before I have to be exposed again to college football and its fans, not to mention the annual travesty that takes place between Thanksgiving and New Years Day.