Monday, August 17, 2009

I'm much more crafty than I give myself credit for.

I've never been the Martha Stewart kind of gal. I'm not really into craft projects or scrap booking. I mean, I like that stuff but I just don't have that natural vision to create. Or to design. I was the kid who couldn't stay inside the lines when I colored. So, it came as quite a pleasant surprise when I realized, maybe I do have a creative bone somewhere. Even if its just that teeny bone that makes up the tip of my pinkie finger.

Now, I just didn't think this up all on my own! A long time, childhood friend is about to be a mommy. Another friend of mine, Jenny, suggested I make her a diaper cake for her shower. My first thought was "What in tar nation is a diaper cake?"

Well, I turned to my faithful friend Google, and she showed me exactly what a diaper cake was. I had no idea such a thing existed. Basically it's a bunch of diapers rolled up, stacked in 3 tiers, and decorated sorta like a wedding cake.

A couple of weekends ago Jenny marched me down to the Hobby Lobby and we got the necessary items to make a darling Lady Bug themed diaper cake. Lady bugs happen to the theme of the baby's room, so I felt it was a cute idea. With Jenny's help, we created this:

It turned out to be a big hit at the baby shower.
It seems so simple, but I never imagined I could do something like that. I was so pleased with how it turned out, that I talked the husband into taking me back to the Hobby Lobby so I could get my own craft box and stock it full of paints, ribbons, hot glue sticks, and other goodies.

As it turns out, my new, fully furnished craft kit is sitting untouched in the closet. I need an idea. I need something to create. I need a purpose to create something. For now, I'm just working on the new 1000 piece puzzle that we got at the Hobby Lobby.


C'est la vie.

8 comments:

Native Minnow said...

The Hobby Lobby? Seriously? That's almost as bad as Woolly Wonders

Pam said...

There are a lot of crafty blogs out there in blog-world. Search around for ideas!

h said...

A statue of Secretariat! That's my idea.

Drinky Crow said...

I second the Secretariat idea.

Kymical Reactions said...

Minnow: Hobby Lobby is actually a pretty cool store! But, the only way I was able to sway husband into taking me was because I told him that they might have a model rocket launcher like the one he operated when he was in the army. They didn't. He wasn't amused.

Momma: I need help finding them.

Troll: If I can find an unfinished horse, I will paint it up like Secretariat. Maybe I'd even send it to you!

Drinky Crow: oh kay. I'll find a horse, paint it up, and send it to you. Er, Troll. :)

Milk River Madman said...

I didn't know "tar nation" was two words.

2 Dollar Productions said...

That looks really sharp. I looked at the picture before reading the post & wondered what it was. Diapers have never looked so good. Ha. Nice work as I am not crafty at all, so anything like this impresses me.

Your loving mother and biggest supporter ever said...

I found some leads and then the power went out this morning. Jamie has a catalog of all that lettering like the piece Rhonda did for you for your shower. Interested in seeing?