Thursday, May 21, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

Has anyone heard Seether cover Careless Whisper? I can't get enough of it. But seriously, who covers Wham?

This got me thinking about other things I can't get enough of.
I could have easily gotten to 10, but I stopped at 5.
1. Careless Whisper - Seether



2. Braum's.


Braum's is a local ice cream and dairy store and I know there are some in a few other states. If you have been to Braum's, well, then you know what I'm talking about.
Two things from Braum's specifically. Braum's Chili. OH MY. Best chili in town IMO. I can even eat it when it's 90 degrees outside. It's that good.

The other thing that is an amazing must have is this:
A yummyscrumptious Brownie Hot Fudge Sundae. I think the image speaks for itself.


3. I love this show on A&E called The Exterminators. I think A&E first found out about them from Mike Rowe, the host of Dirty Jobs. He tagged along for a day with Billy from Vex-Con, capturing critters and and snakes and sorts. It wasn't long after that I came across this show. If you haven't seen it, you should at least check out 1 episode. But be warned! It has the ability to reel you in to make sure it's on your list of shows for the week.

The gist is this - it's a family owned and operated business. Billy and Terry are the son's and they go out and catch the critters, get bitten by snakes, get sprayed by skunks and all that. The mom, Donnie, works in the office and calls the jobs out to Billy and Terry. She also makes sure that she is in the middle of everyones stew. Like when she was concerned that Terry needed to meet a nice girl, and placed a singles ad in the local paper without his knowledge. Then she proceeded to meet and interview the girls that replied, picked the one she thought was best suited for Terry and set up a blind date. Big Bill is the dad and frankly, I don't know what he does except for talk to his kids like they are still 12 years old. Mary is Billy's wife and she isn't happy that Billy works long hours and they never have time to "talk."

4. Merle Norman Luxiva Daily Moisture Cream. This stuff is so good, that I wouldn't think twice about selling my kidneys on the black market to get a jar.

5. I don't have an image for this next thing. And, it a way, it's sort of sick and morbid. I have to read the obituary pages in The Oklahoman every day. I don't know why. It started because it's part of my job. I know that sounds funny, but I have to look to see who's departed this life and then see if they are in our donor database. It helps keep the records up to date. But the thing is, that I actually like reading the obits now. I think I would read them even if I didn't have too. Call me sick, call me crazy - but it's just one of those quirks that makes me, me.

Now fellow bloggers, I ask you to reveal what are those things in life that you can't get enough of.

Anyway, Mute Monday is Trip. I have no idea what to do. It might be a lame post on my part, but I'll try to think of something fitting.

9 comments:

Milk River Madman said...

Kim,

The cover of Wham is AWESOME!! 5 things hmm? I'm going to play of your example a bit 1) The Godfather 2)Seinfeld 3) The Old Works Golf Course 4) Pistachios 5)Letters-to-the-editor ,they are the first thing I read in the local paper and any other paper when I pick them up. Also read them virtually first in every periodical.

h said...

New CULINARY THROWDOWN CHALLENGE!


Your number 5 is kinda morbid, but I might have you beat.

The Troll County Daily Marxist has a section called "Baby Turns One" or something like that once a month. I like to encourage Mama Troll to envision horrible futures for the ones that obviously have a "baby-daddy" instead of a responsible Father. This is especially amusing when she does so in public.

Jenny said...

I love this post. I need to think about what I can't get enough of... I worry that "blogging" could be at the top of the list and that's soooo not good, right?

I get the obituary thing. If our newspaper wasn't so lame, I'd read the whole thing more often, including the obits.

Have a great weekend. I have faith in your ability to come up with a good mute and I'm off to go look into your kidney-selling face cream.

Native Minnow said...

Some of my guilty pleasures:

1) Blogging (and other social network sites): I waste way too much time doing it, so shouldn't, but can't seem to make myself stop.

2) There are definitely a few CDs in my collection that qualify: Bon Jovi, Kid Rock, Def Leppard, etc.

3) Greasy breakfasts on a Sunday morning.

4) Jim Jeffreys. The guy is sooo vulgar and foul, but I can't stop laughing at his jokes.

5) Sweets. Although, I don't really feel too "guilty" about my mass consumption of those.

Wow, it was harder to come up with five of those than I thought it'd be.

Kymical Reactions said...

Milky: I know! I heard it for the first time about 2 weeks ago, and I have to crank it up and roll the windows down in my pick up every time I hear it. OK - I love Seinfeld and pistachios too. I particularly like to watch Seinfeld while eating pistachios.

Chef Troll: I think it's morbid too! In fact, reading the obits is how I found out my dentist died. I still haven't found a replacement. Now - I'd love to see momma troll envision the futures of those tots. I bet it's a hoot.

Boxer Baby: Have a blasty in Portland. You have GOT to try out this Merle Norman product. uh-may-zing.

Minnow: I think pretty much all music is my guilty pleasure. I'm a music junky and I can't get high enough. I like a greasy breakfast - but on Saturday mornings. Fried eggs, bacon and toast. Sometimes I like it for dinner! Never heard of Jim Jeffreys, but will check him out. I like sweets as much as the next girl, but I prefer chocolate.

moi said...

Dang, it. I'm having the hardest time with YouTube lately. Vids stop and start and stall out, so I can't view the Seether performance.

But, gah, I have a list of guilty pleasures as long as I-40. Currently, and in no particular order:

1. Lady Ga-Ga's "Poker Face"
2. Kelly Clarkson's "All I Ever Wanted"
3. McDonald's soft serve ice cream
4. The Housewives of New Jersey
5. O.P.I. South Beach nail color collection

Kymical Reactions said...

Moi - dont feel bad about not seeing the youtube video. It isnt an actual video, its just the song on top of some picture slideshow of the band. But you have got to go find it some where and give it a listen. It rocks.

Thanks for your list. I'm diggin Lady Ga-Ga right not too.

Aunty Belle said...

heh...always loved that song--justice arrives sooner or later. I can see ya Kid Kym whippin' down the road windows down, music bustin' a hole in the stratosphere--ho!!

Guilty pleasures?

BLOG SLUMMIN' (Time sucker!)

WEIRD NEWS JUNKIE (Hobbit Bones Surface in Australia--but I bet they was jes' Troll bones)(Another time sucker)

TRAVEL MAGS
(Moi can have the celebtard rags, gimme all the Wandering through Walachia, free Bloody Marys, Ankhs of Ancient Azerbaijan, Backpacking in Bhopal snackin' on Chernobyl Chicken, Backstreets of Buenos Aires, Nephroureterectomy while you sleep)

PROWLIN' IN OLDE BOOK SHOPPE

PASTING "WUSSIE WAGON" OVER OBAMA BUMPER STICKERS in the grocery parking lot


(dunkin' cookies in Half and Half, but that'd be six thangs)


Now I'se off to see what the heck Lady Ga-Ga is...an git some of the Merle Norman stuff.

2 Dollar Productions said...

Probably nobody should cover WHAM. Ha. But Braums on the other hand, is absolutely great and I never feel guilty. Unfortunately, they don't have any in Austin, which is a bizarre choice that my brother & I can never figure out.