Friday, December 10, 2010

tribulations

My coworker suffered a miscarriage today. She was just three weeks behind me in her pregnancy. We were both so incredibly excited about sharing our "first time mom" experiences together. We were looking forward to having someone to talk with about all of the changes going on in our bodies. We were going to be pregnancy buddies. But all of that has changed now. She started cramping last week. And then on Monday, she started bleeding. She left to go to the doctor, and hasn't been at work since. We all got the news today just before 5pm as our boss came around to let us know, so we would be aware in case she's at work on Monday.

I love this girl. She has the kindest heart of anyone I've ever known. Her faith in God is unwavering. Even now, even as she doesn't understand why this awful thing is happening to her, she still looks to God and stands on His promise that He is forever faithful. Even after all she has been through in her life, she always trusts in God's will.

She came to America from Kenya in 1998 to go to college because her mother wanted her to have an American education. After a long battle of will with her mom over whether to move to Florida or Oklahoma, her mother won and she's been here ever in Oklahoma ever since. She grew up in a boarding school, because her both parents were police officers in Kenya and were gone the majority of the time fighting drug cartels and other rogue criminals. Her dad was more like the equivalent to the CIA or the FBI. Last year, her dad and brother were kidnapped by some cartel members and executed. They were forced to strip out of their clothes, their hands were tied behind their backs, and they were shot in the back of the head. She wasn't able to return to Kenya for their funerals.

The only family she has here is her husband. She's been married for two years, and his family hasn't been very accepting of their marriage. I guess they never expected their All American, Boy Next Door to fall for a real life African girl. She's brave. She attends the family gatherings, never feeling fully welcome. Most of the time she sits on the couch, alone, waiting for someone to talk to her. Her husband has tried to ease the tension with his mother, and this has only turned into toleration. Not acceptance. Again, she tells us, she's not married to his mother. She doesn't mind the awkwardness because she loves her husband. And to her, that's all that matters.

All she's talked about for the past year is "getting" a baby. We all know how desperately she's wanted this. I can't help but be incredibly sad. I can't imagine how hard this is for her. I don't know what I would do, or how I would feel if it were me. I'm having guilt even though I know there isn't anything that I could have done. I'm just worried about how it's going to be for her to have to be around me. Will she have resentment? Will seeing me make her sad? I don't know what to say to her. How do I, of all people, offer condolences? My heart is heavy. Maybe I just need a good cry, and I'll feel better.


7 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh. My. I don't even know where to start. What to say, other than this; your friend is going to need a friend. She's going to need someone who will let her cry, or talk or not cry or not talk. I'm so sorry for her. I'm also for the loss for YOU. Don't feel guilty. You must be scared about the safety and future of your own baby and I wish you could just enjoy the Holidays and the joy of being pregnant.

But that's not reality is it? She's lucky you're worried about her and I'm glad she has you for a friend.

xoxo and you are all in my prayers.

:-(

moi said...

Oh, hon, I'm so sorry. You painted a very vivid picture of this hopeful young woman, and my heart goes out to her and to you. I'm pulling for her to tap into the reservoir of strength that's gotten her this far. Seems you’ve done something wonderful already by contributing your friendship.

Aunty Belle said...

Oh Kymie! Sweetheart, I am so sorry for your own anxiety and your friend's dreadful loss.

Boxer is right--your friend will need a friend, and no one will understand her anguish better than you.

Does your friend know of the African woman, Immaculee Ilibagiza? Her experience in the Rwandan genocide is similar to your friend's in Kenya. Here is an amazing interview with Immaculee that explores faith in the midst of immense suffering.

http://www.first30days.com/living-more-spiritually/videos/change-nation-immacule-ilibagiza-112808.html

I will pray for both of you, Kymie.

Aunty Belle said...

How are ya' doin' Sugar?

chickory said...

crushing heartbreaking news. quiet friendship is best. theres nothing to say. just be there. sending you love and strength

Karl said...

Evening Kym,

The woman you describe is obviously strong and resilient. She will get through this and you offering condolence and support will not only help to do so, it may help her in preparing to try again. Should she decide to do so. Help her with what you can, you'll both be the better for it.

fishy said...

Ahhh Kym, this is a tough one.
For you, as well as for your friend.

My guess is you will take your cues from her. If she cannot bring herself to make eye contact with you, don't force her.

If she seeks a comforting hug, give her one and know it will be good if you both cry.