Saturday, April 17, 2010

Culinary Smackdown: Lobster!

Well, intentions were good, and anticipation was high to take on my first attempt at lobster. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. At least not today. On my way to the grocers to purchase the necessities to make my smackdown dish, I was involved in a minor fender bender.


I was getting on the access road to the interstate, when the driver of a small Saturn ran a stop sign. Well, he didn't really run it. He was completely stopped. Then, right as I was approaching the intersection, to which I had the right of way, the Saturn pulled out right in front of me. I blared my horn, and slammed the breaks, but a collision was unavoidable. I hit the car, just behind the passenger door. I turned and pulled over behind the car, and a young kid got out. Young, probably early 20's. He immediately apologized to me and said, "my windows were fogged up and I couldn't see." Nice. I took that as a cue to file a police report. You know, just because.


Initial damage appears minor, but I'm not an autobody mechanic, so what do I know? Stress and tension levels are extremely elevated, and I can feel a migraine coming on. What does this mean? It means I have to forfeit my entry to the Culinary Smackdown: Lobster edition. I don't feel like cooking. I just want to lay around in my comfy clothes and take a nap.


I can, however, describe as best I can, the dish I had planned on preparing and hope for sympathy votes. So, here is what I had planned.

Ingredients

¾ pounds Penne Pasta

1 lobster, cooked, meat removed and cut into bite size pieces

3 Tablespoons Butter

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1 whole Onion (small)

2 cloves Garlic

½ cups White Wine (or to taste)

1 can Tomato Sauce (8 Oz)

1 cup Heavy Cream

Fresh Parsley, to taste

Fresh Basil - to taste

Salt and Pepper to taste


Instructions

Cook the penne pasta until tender-firm.

Boil or steam lobster, then remove the meat once cooked. Chop the lobster into bite –sized pieces and set aside.

Finely dice one small onion. Mince two cloves of garlic.
In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the garlic and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally. After the garlic and onions have cooked a bit add your white wine. Let the wine evaporate for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. If you would rather not use wine, you can use low-sodium chicken broth instead (about ½ cup).

Now add an 8-ounce can of plain tomato sauce. Stir well until combined. Then add 1 cup of heavy cream. Continue stirring. Turn heat down to low and let simmer.

Now chop your herbs, about a tablespoon of chopped parsley and about the same amount of chopped basil.

Now add the lobster back into the tomato cream sauce. Give it a stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Throw in your herbs and stir until combined. Finally add your cooked penne pasta and give it a good stir. Serve and enjoy!

I’ll have to give it a try some other day. Sadface. Had I had a chance to make it, I imagine it would look something like this...

Can you please just pretend this is mine??

16 comments:

Pam said...

You did file a police report, yes? Anyone get a ticket?

moi said...

Oh, hon, I'm sorry. Nothing like a fender bender to put a major crimp in the day. The dish indeed looks delish. I'm putting it on my list to make when I get home. Which I can't wait to do. I want to be in my own kitchen. I hope the outcome of the accident doesn't cause you further worry.

h said...

"My windows (and brain) were fogged up, so I couldn't see (think)."

What a tool.

Lobster sounded good. Surprised you don't find cooking comforting.

Buzz Kill said...

I'm actually picturing the kid getting out of Cheech Marine's '63 Chevy from Up in Smoke. Glad you didn't get hurt but what a hassle this will be. But the kid unwittingly saved a lobster's life by taking you out. Bwahahaha

This recipe sounds pretty good. You could easily sub shrimp and/or scallops for the lobster. You'll get 'em next time.

Heff said...

Damn. I'm terribly sorry about the mishap.

It's GOT to suck to have a goal of Lobster Pasta and end up instead with "Vehicle Linguine".

I hope you're o.k.

Kymical Reactions said...

momma: I did. I know better, than to skip out on that, no matter how small the accident. ;)

Miss Moi: I want to make it soon, too. I didn't get back out this weekend. Stupid rain. Perhaps next weekend.

Troll: The kid was an apologetic tool. I was worried (based on his name) that he didn't have valid insurance. Luckily the cop verified he did.

Buzz: The fog was because he hadn't turned on his defroster, and the humid, rainy air caused them to fog up. :x As for the recipe, it actually did call for shrimp, but I planned on using lobster. :)

Heff: It did suck. And I wokeyo with a really stiff neck. boo.

Sharon Rudd said...

Oh, no, Kym. Hope you're feeling better. Your pasta dish sounds heavenly. Believe me, lobster is worth waiting for. Hope you'll feel up to enjoying it in fine style soon!

eggy

Christo Gonzales said...

what a bummer! I am willing to pretend.

Anonymous said...

Hey you, thanks for stopping by, I have seen you over at Heff's, I don't know why I have never come over to harrass you. :) Sounds like it would have been good, I am starving. I am going to go make some hommade blueberry cobbler now.

Robin said...

Oh I do hope you are fine...and the damage isnt severe...but your dish looks delish and it seems like something I could do as well..Id like to try this one day..!My pitas and bisque did turn out great..my first time with the bisque..I was surprised...Im still eating it today..nice to meet you..and I hope you will feel better soon..!

Karl said...

Good morning Kym,

Sorry to hear your accident. Dealing with insurance companies, can seem like being sucked in a black hole. I sure hope that my migraine didn't develop.

The recipe looks pretty comforting, try making it to releave some stress. If cooking it doesn't, eating it should.

Shareef Muhammad Abdoul Rahuf said...

"I was worried (based on his name) that he didn't have valid insurance."

Could you explain this comment?

Nick Shipley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Johnny Carino said...

The shareef don't like it
Rockin' the Casbah
Rock the Casbah

Jenny said...

yes, Kymm-ster, I can pretend that beautiful dish is yours.

SORRY about the fender bender. Even the smallest dents can be expensive,so you were smart to have a police officer officiate everything.... your insurance company will thank you.

How did the yard turn out?

Kymical Reactions said...

eggplant: I'm feeling better, thank you. And I'll be giving it a go sometime during the week!

doggybloggy: Thanks! It sure looks yummy.

BamaTrav: aw shucks. :)

Robin: Anyone can make this dish... give it a go and tell me what you think!

Karl: It's turning into a mini nightmare. skdfjsd;lkfjafd.

Shareef: It means you used to play basketball and somewhere along the way, forgot how to spell your name.

Johnny C: He thinks it's not kosher, and fundamentally, he can't take it.

Boxiedolly: It rained all weekend. I didn't get to do a darn thing. The good news is that it bought me another week to plan!