Sunday, October 4, 2009

Mute Monday: "The Fall" of Saigon


16 comments:

MinorityReport said...

Powerful images here. Happy MM.

h said...

Wow. I'm loving the interpretations this week. Classic pictures.

Happy Mute Monday!

Buzz Kill said...

I missed being drafted for all that fun by about 3 years. It's the only lottery where I didn't mind not having my number come up.

Happy MM!

Pam said...

Great and disturbing subject matter indeed. This happened my Senior year in high school. The images coming over the TV were incredible. I remember images of women throwing their babies over the fence in hopes that the GI's would put them on helicopters. Amazing stories. Love you.

Brian said...

I can't help but hear "Goodbye Saigon" by Billy Joel when I see pictures like this.

Happy MM.

Jenny said...

what a great pick. I was 15 when Saigon fell and it was a pretty disturbing time to be a teen. Or anyone. I have employed several people who left during that time and their stories are ones I always think of when I see pictures like these. Happy MM AND Happy Anniversary (I was at your Mom's.) :-)

fishy said...

Wow Kym .... I find myself wondering what the difference in response is for those bloggers who witnessed the fall and those who studied it in History books. I remember being "queasy" for what seemed like months every time the horrifying realities were broadcast. Good pick, hope you have a great Monday.

moi said...

You and Buzz are now running neck-and-neck for my favorite interpretation this week. I was only in elementary school when it happened but I remember the general sense of failure, shame, and horror of the adults around me.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Well chosen!

Native Minnow said...

That last picture is probably the one image that shocked me the most in my life. I think I first saw it when I was about 13, and it haunted me for weeks. Still does when I see it again.

sparringK9 said...

this is what happens when we fail to prevail and leave our allies hanging. great MM entry! well done, kym!

MinorityReport said...

Hey. I saw your comment. Send me an email and I'll answer whatever I can. :)

ree said...

Very powerful.

Happy MM.

Vixen said...

Have to agree with what others have said....very powerful.

2 Dollar Productions said...

Good stuff, but tough to digest, especially that last pic which I've seen several times & each time it's like the first. Happy MM.

And sorry about the game as I was actually pulling for OU. Should have let Jones throw down the field more . . .

Joanna Cake said...

Fabulous take! Happy belated MM x