Monday, January 26, 2009

Mute Monday - Big Ole Ben!

This is my choice for the "Big" theme today. This is Big Ole Ben in August 2007. I was visiting Europe with the family and snapping shots of all the notable landmarks around London. Look closely - you will see that Ben's faces show different times. This is because his internal workings were being cleaned and maintenanced. I was told this was extremely rare to see - he isn't cleaned very often. As we wondered around London we saw scaffolding on several buildings, which made taking photos of landmarks very difficult. As it turns out, the city of London is cleaning every building in preparation for hosting the Olympic Games in 2012. I was told that the last time the buildings in London were cleaned was prior to WWI.
Happy Mute Monday everyone.
- kmwthay
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Pam said...

Love the pic of Big Ben. It is hard to be mute, isn't it!!! xoxo

h said...

Great picture. That's a LONG time between cleanings. The gargoyles must be filthy!

Happy Mute Monday

Unknown said...

Well it's about time then! Nice piccie.

Pam said...

BTW, I love this background.